Surf’s up! The LAX Beach airport play area at the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is part of a world-class dining and retail collection by Westfield. Located post-security in order to conveniently serve travelers who are waiting for flights, the 971-square-foot LAX Beach provides fun for children ages 2-8.
Composed of hand-painted, soft foam pieces resembling waves, surfboards and sea life, LAX Beach features a slide, beach toys and more for children to enjoy. Adjacent seating overlooking the area offers a place for parents to relax. The custom soft playground was created by PLAYTIME, LLC, the global leader in the soft play industry.
“I think it’s safe to say that happy children make better flyers. With the opening of LAX Beach, we are going to see a lot more happy children on our international flights,” said Los Angeles World Airports Executive Director Gina Marie Lindsey. “It’s just another step along the path LAX is taking to improve the traveling experience for every passenger – no matter how young.”
Jeff Williamson, PLAYTIME’s Airport Specialist, said LAX Beach showcases the unique vision that Westfield brings to airport retail management.
“Most other airports offer aviation-themed playgrounds but Westfield chose to highlight the Los Angeles region’s unique culture and geography,” says Williamson. “This is easily one of the largest airport installations to date, incorporating interactive light bubbles on the wall and curved surround seating. It’s a very cool play area for a very cool destination.”
The LAX Beach airport play area joins a host of other family-friendly options at the new TBIT, including:
- Small gifts, big smiles at Sanrio Surprises, home of Hello Kitty® and the ideal spot for gifting;
- Bead Factory, where children can design their own bracelets;
- Made-from-scratch cupcakes and delicious, dainty confections at Vanilla Bake Shop;
- Kitson, where shopping is fun for everyone and a favorite go-to for celeb parents with clothing, toys and the hippest merchandise;
- Comfort food classics that are kid-tested and parent-approved at Marmalade Café;
- Quesadillas, tacos and more to suit palates of all ages at Border Grill;
- Affordable dining for the whole family at Panda Express; and
- A dedicated section for children’s books at Relay and The Economist.
“We understand that air travel – particularly for those flying internationally – can be a cumbersome process for families with small children,” said Eileen Hanson, VP of Marketing for Westfield’s airport division. “LAX Beach is just one of an array of family-friendly options in the new Tom Bradley International Terminal, creating a fun and stress-free experience for travelers of all ages.”
The LAX Beach airport play area is located near the Dining Terrace and is open during terminal hours.